I went in to give blood today, and as part of the routine questionnaire they always give, the guy asked me where I had traveled in the last 12 months. It was an unexpected reminder of how awesome this year has been, as I thought back to the Magic Cruise, my trips to Pro Tours San Juan and Amsterdam, and all of the amazing friends I’ve met and grown closer to over the last twelve months.
One of the themes of this year’s blog, if you read between the lines, is that I am very very hard on myself. I am constantly upset at how poorly I’m doing compared to the Ideal Dave I have shadowing me in my mind. I am thinking again and again of all these wonderful projects I could do only to fail to find time or energy to do them. I fail to attend some social gathering and beat myself up over it. The list goes on. But now, taking a step back, I can see that if I look at Real Dave, not some imaginary ideal I have constructed for myself – well, he did a pretty great job with this year, and this year with him.
The highlights of this year were:
- the Magic Cruise, reconnecting with the folk who attended the first one and meeting some wonderful new people (can’t wait for this year’s!)
- my 30th birthday in San Juan
- Karaoke Mondays, especially the, uh, Thursday with the Community Cup folks and later special guest stars Tom, Aaron and PV
- my career shift into game design working with an excellent set of people
- the focus this blog has given me in understanding how my brain works and what matters to me
- the multiple marriages and engagements of my friends (they keep coming, and they are all great!)
Every trip I took for work or related to work brought with it a few days of the same awesome times with those awesome people. Every night out with friends gave me a chance to cut loose, something I definitely don’t do often enough. And now every day I spend at work I have a lot of fun and a lot of challenges that are rewarding to tackle.
Sure, some things could be better – they always could – but lots of things are way better than I have any right to expect!